Feb 21, 2009
Before Tomorrow Web Site (Co-Production Igloolik Isuma and Kunuk Cohn Productions – Before Tomorrow premiered in Igloolik on the weekend of February 23rd, 2008. Members of the Arnait Video collective (Susan Avingaq, Madeline Ivalu, Carol Kunnuk et Marie-Hélène Cousineau) presented the film in front of attentive audiences on February 23rd and 24th. Props and select costumes from the film were also on display. As with previous films produced by Igloolik Isuma Productions, the film’s first audience was the community involved in making the film. The producers are also planning a screening in Puvirnituq, Nunavik, where the film was shot. Filmed between July 2006 and Janaury 2007, Before Tomorrow was directed by Marie-Hélène Cousineau and Madeline Ivalu and adapted from the novel For morgendagen by the acclaimed Danish writer Jørn Riel.
- New York Times: “Ancient Inuit Wisdom as Sustenance in Dire Times” (Dec. 02, 2009).
- CBC: “The longest winter: Before Tomorrow is a heartbreaking tale about indigenous culture and survival” (March 26, 2009).
- In Media Res: “Beyond Broadcast: Launching NITV on Isuma TV” (May 04, 2009).
- Up Here: “Before Tomorrow, worth watching” (May 09, 2009).
- CBC: “Inuit drama nets 9 Genie nominations” (March 03, 2010).